National Day of Action: August 20!
Students have been taking a strong stand against this budget, and in particular, the toxic changes to higher education. Our protests have been massive and have received national media attention. As a result of NUS' protests and consistent campaign against the governments horror budget, along with the efforts of other peak groups like the NTEU, CAPA and CISA, Labor, the Greens and Clive Palmer have pledged their opposition to the higher education changes.
But students need to keep up the pressure.
The Abbott government's budget includes:
- uncapping university fees, leading to inevitable skyrocketing fee increases
- dropping the threshold at which graduates have to pay back their HECS debt
- savage changes to Newstart and Youth Allowance
- cutting government funding to university courses by average of 20%
- massive increases to interest on HECS debt for students past, present and future
and plenty more.
The government has made it clear they do not value the importance of a quality, accessible higher education system to Australia. Their budget measures will create an education system and a climate for young people akin to the US. It will create a system where education is inaccessible for all but the privileged, and leave those most disadvantaged starved of the opportunity to access higher education.
Come out to the demonstration in your major capital city on August 20 to tell the government: hands off our education!
For more information, contact National Education Officer Sarah Garnham at
or on 0423 742 453.